Saturday 10 March 2012

KUMEU SHOW

This Sunday my partner Peter, Luba from Germany and myself went to the Kumeu show. The weather had been wet but held off for us with the odd drizzle. Don't you love these clowns. They are so reminiscent of a show or fair.


These two little girls were having their lunch. Notice the little bumblebee outfit on the little girl on the right.

Isn't this little girl beautiful in a tomboyish way. She won some ribbons with this small bull.



These little shetland ponies were lovely. Look   as though they could be mother and daughter.

We were aloud to pat these Alpacas on the neck. There coat was very soft. We were told to be careful when walking behind them as they can kick out. The history of the Alpacas is they come from the desert mountains in South America where it is very cold. They look quite nervous animals but we were told they were prey to other animals so that might explain their nature.

I love the way these Alpacas are huddled together.

This pig was an interesting character. Love the way you can see the sawdust on his nozzle.

I love this bull. It is called a Brahman. Isn't he handsome. Heard some little girls say he is ugly but I say he has character plus.


I was surprised to see this lady showing this Brahman. He was so big. I particularly like this shot of her showing him some affection.


Here's another handsome fella. Not sure what breed he is but love the colouring.

My sister has chosen orange as one of her blog choices so you will see this photo again. Isn't the color magnificent.


Beautiful selection of local cheeses.




I put my camera on sports mode to capture the woodchips. The maori man in the foreground is quite old and I admire him for competing because this would be a very hard sport to compete in.



I love the way this girl is wearing matching colour browns to blend in with her horse.

While I was waiting for a show to begin I spotted this girl in front of me with beautiful hair. I noticed too that her skin was quite olive. Normally redhead people have very pale skin.

It was fun watching little children putting their trust in these little horses. For some of them it may have been their first time on a horse.


This little chap looked very serious.

It was interesting to watch people as they were absorbed in the show. This couple looked very much the part with their brown Stetson hat's.

These girls were enjoying each other's company while they were waiting to compete.


Anyone from New Zealand would be familiar with these two ladies. They are called the Topp twins and they are really funny ladies and excellent yodellers. See the clip at end of them performing.

A selection of pickles that have been judged at the show.


I love the deep red colours of these apples.


There was a big selection of pumpkins at the show and very unusual ones. I loved the one at the back. 


At the show these was this lovely old building that was being used as an opportunity shop that had a lovely selection of china, lace, sewing patterns and buttons and very reasonably priced.



Below is a video of the Topp Twins and Marianne Burns. The Topp Twins have just returned from America where they have made a film. Marianne Burns is the best fiddle player in New Zealand and well regarded overseas.

2 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing Paddy, loved the honky tonk angels aren't they gorgeous and love their singing. The show brings back memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are such lovely photos, couldn't get video to work but will try later. P

    ReplyDelete